Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Wednesday Woman

Today, we conclude chapter 1 of Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge. If you missed last week's post, I encourage you to start there.


Chapter 1 (cont.) - The Heart of a Woman
*words in italics are direct quotes from the book

Every woman in her heart of hearts longs for three things: to be romanced, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure and to unveil beauty. That's what makes a woman come alive. (pg 8)

To be romanced
This desire is set deep in the heart of every little girl - and every woman. Yet most of us are ashamed of it. We downplay it. We pretend that it is less than it is. We are women of the twenty-first century after all - strong, independent and capable, thank you very much. (pg 9)

Oh my - this resonates with me. Why? Fear, perhaps? Fear that my desire to be romanced will be viewed as a weakness? Fear that my desire to be romanced will go unmet? And yet, the desire remains. My heart longs to be romanced. It did when I was a little girl and it does today. Are you, like me, willing to admit it?

To play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure
There is something fierce in the heart of a woman... A woman is a warrior too. But she is meant to be a warrior in a uniquely feminine way... [she] wants to believe there is something in [her] that is needed and needed desperately. We were made to be part of a great adventure. An adventure that is shared. We do not want adventure merely for adventure's sake but for what it requires of us for others. We don't want to be alone in it; we want to be in it with others. (pg 11-12)

What would it mean for you to be needed desperately? And to be the answer in a way that only you, as a woman, could be? I want to take a risk, do something dangerous, something that matters! I so want to be a heroine in the life of others, especially my husband.

To unveil beauty
The desire to be beautiful is an ageless longing... And it's not just the desire for an outward beauty, but more - a desire to be captivating in the depths of who you are. (pg 15-16)

Oh how I want to be beautiful! How much more so do I want others to see my inner beauty? I'm praying that God constantly work on my heart so that when my husband (who else knows me best?) sees me, he finds overwhelming outer and inner beauty. This is a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...