Monday, March 29, 2010

a2 in Review

Yesterday, Chris challenged us to get past our excuses and be ready to act when God calls us. Listen to the full message online here.


Intervention - God's "A" Team


This is the story of God speaking to Moses through the burning bush.

Then the Lord told him, "You can be sure I have seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries for deliverance from their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. So I have come down to deliver them from the power of the Egyptians... So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt".
Exodus 3: 7-8, 10 (NIV)

When Moses understood that the Lord was calling him to act, he did what we all would do. He made excuses. His excuses and God's response are perfectly applicable to any call God places in your life - big or small.

Our Excuse: "Lord, what do I have to offer? I am a nobody!"
God's Response: "I will be with you!"

But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" Then God told him, "I will be with you..."
Exodus 3:11-12 (NIV)

Our Excuse: "Lord, I don't have all the answers. I don't know what to say."
God's Response: "I will tell you what to say."

But Moses protested, "If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, 'the God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' they won't believe me. They will ask, 'Which god are you talking about? What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?" God replied, "I am the one who always is. Just tell them, 'I am has sent me to you.'"
Exodus 3:13-14 (NLT)

Our Excuse: "Lord, what if they don't believe me?"
God's Response: "That's not your job! Your job is to trust and obey."

But Moses protested again, "Look, they won't believe me! They won't do what I tell them. They'll just say, 'the Lord never appeared to you.'" Then the LORD said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied. The LORD said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it. Then the LORD said to him, "Reach out your hand and take it by the tail." So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand. "This," said the LORD, "is so that they may believe that the LORD, the God of their fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has appeared to you."
Exodus 4:1-5 (NLT)

Our Excuse: "Lord, I'm not capable."
God's Response: "I made you!"

But Moses pleaded with the Lord, "O Lord, I'm just not a good speaker. I never have been, and I'm not now, even after you have spoken to me. I'm clumsy with words." "Who makes mouths?" the Lord asked him. "Who makes people so they can speak or not speak, hear or not hear, see or not see? Is it not I, the Lord?"
Exodus 4:10-11 (NLT)

Our Excuse: "Lord, I'm not as qualified as others. Send someone else."
God's Response: "No! You are my answer!"

But Moses again pleaded, "Lord, please! Send someone else." Then the Lord became angry with Moses.
Exodus 4:13

This sermon reminds me why I am blogging about a2 in the first place. I never want to forget this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...